The Overflowing Cup- Blessed Beyond Measure

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life.
Psalm 23: 5,6

In my twenty seven and a three quarter of lifetime, I must have read this verse at least a hundred times. But never before has it become so lively and full of meaning and relevance for me as it has for sometime now. Every single soul on this planet live with their share of happiness and sorrows. But what truly makes life livable is the blessings that we receive in this mortal life.And my forever blessing would be my friend, my beloved.

People often assume that the entrance of one's partner in their lives imply the subtraction of all pain and sorrows. But the real source of  happiness is in understanding one little secret, it is not the subtraction of all negative things but the addition of all happy and mellow things in life that changes the whole scenario- that draws the line between life before him/her and life with him/her. I have been blessed beyond measure to have found my love in a man who not only shares a few of my important interests and view points about life but is rooted in the same faith and dependence on God Almighty that has brought us this far in life.

In this age and time when trust is built solely on seeing and testing something, I or rather we call ourselves truly blessed to have started from the point of no contact. To have the faith that Almighty has a plan that is not just better than or actions (past or present) but also far beyond our scope of imagination. And it is a known fact that building something solid requires solid commitment. And solid commitment means inhuman efforts. So now if one puts inhuman efforts into something they would definitely expect nothing but the best. And the best comes with a price! It all depends on the willingness to pay the price. After all if I'm buying something precious I'll guard it with my life. Even though giving up is easy and holding on is really tough, what matters really is the outcome.

Velsao, Goa
Living miles away, continents apart from the one I love- when tired mind and body whispers to give up, the heart that has been pumped full with the life blood from the Scriptures says "You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life". The most common form of expression of one's love is by feelings. But is feelings the right parameter to measure a vast thing as love? Thich Nhat Hanh has said "Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky". Something as fleeting as feelings can't contain love. In this context I find the the words of Leslie Ludy, in her book (along with Eric Ludy) When God Writes Your Love Story,  encouraging:

"When Eric and I promised each other we would stay together for life- no matter if he loses his hair and gets a belly, or if i burn all his meals- we knew we could keep the commitment because it was based not on feelings but on a choice."

Mr Fernandes is my forever choice.

Comments

Popular Posts