A Plateful Of Thanksgiving

While a large population of the world was busy celebrating Thanksgiving on the 4th Thursday of November, far away from my parents and the man I love, I was contemplating the significance of this day. And the conclusion I came to was this that I have a plateful to thank for all the graces I've received.

We are often thankful for the material blessings that we receive or the immaterial blessings in the form of security and status in life. But what we forget is that it is the simple, small, and often insignificant things in our lives that we must be thankful for. The fact that we could wake up this morning to see a wonderful sunrise, in my opinion, is far more bigger reason to be thankful for, than the fact that one can afford the latest iPhone or a top end car. Happiness is too easily mistaken for financial status. But had that really been the case the richest person in the world would be the happiest one too.

In the humdrum of our so-called busy lives, we forget to stop for a moment to admire a dog leaning against the balcony or smile at a little kid who's hopping on her way to school. We are so busy looking at our screens that we miss so much that we could be thankful for. I've been taking the same road to work for about a year and a half now, but it wasn't until very recently that I had noticed the before mentioned handsome labrador. And now I never miss to look at it. The little girl smiles at me every time I walk by her, and that little smile is worth more than a lot many material things. I had read somewhere that happiness isn't found it is something that you create, and I absolutely agree to it. We ourselves are the creator or destroyer of our peace and happiness. We often tend to pick the wrong options.

Apart from being thankful for the not so right reasons, sometimes we also tend to be not thankful at all. That again is a source of unhappiness. A thankful heart is always a happy heart.

As another year is about to come to an end, I hope to grow more and more thankful for all that I have and not just whine about what I don't. For I have more than I had asked for and blessed beyond measures !!

Comments