The Homecoming Cup

Though the word "homecoming" has a totally different connotation, I'm borrowing this word to describe a completely different feeling altogether.

Being raised as a Christian, the concept of 'the holiday season' wasn't alien to me. But it wasn't long before I truly felt it. The holiday season is a big fuss everywhere in the world. And why shouldn't it be?! It is the time for family and friends to get together, who otherwise are cooped up in their separate apartments and lives. Everything has become nuclear in its truest sense. Children face-timing with their grandparents, friends and significant others wishing each other on birthdays and holidays over Skype. It's all a virtual reality world now!

As I sit to pack my belongings, ready to fly back to my home in a couple of days, all I can think is nothing can be more comfortable than the hugs of our loved ones... nothing could be more satisfying than the family sitting around the dining table having a hot dinner laid out on the table, and lots of things to talk about!

It has been 7 years since I had moved out of my parent's home. During this time I've lived in two big cities. These wonderful cities are supposed to have their own charm, the exciting life or new places to eat out every week. But nothing can ever compensate for the quiet foggy mornings of my hometown, or the sweet scent of dew covered flowers in our garden back home, or the delicious biriyani that mum makes, or the simple pleasure of waking up in my childhood bed!

It's time... It's homecoming time! And at this moment a wonderful scene from the movie "Love Actually" has flashed across my mind... the opening scene and the wonderful lines narrated by Hugh Grant-
"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinions starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends."

Two millennia ago, Jesus came into the world to bring us peace and happiness and life... and now I'm on my way home to get peace and happiness and life. And it is going to be a very merry Christmas!

Comments

  1. This article gives the light in which we can observe the reality. This is very nice one and gives indepth information. Thanks for this nice article. Labels for jars and bottles

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment