The First Cup

I was 14 when I first thought of starting to write a diary. Of course Anne Frank was the inspiration!! Though I never came to know if what I write is worth reading! It was just the day in day out activities, sometimes deep thoughts.

I've always been an avid reader. So avid that I used to hide books under the pillow, waiting for my mum to fall asleep so that I could pull out the book and resume getting lost! I've always wondered at a writer's capability to create an element of surprise, or ecstasy, or just their simple ability to take us far away from reality in a magical world or a distant country. At this point I must admit I haven't yet traveled to any distant country. But I would, someday and soon!

Being a girl and someone whose favourite subject in school was literature, one might develop a notion that I'm a Jane Austen or Nicholas Sparks fan. But no... I am not! I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy Pride and Prejudice or Emma or The Notebook or The Longest Ride. I did... a lot. In fact the first novel I read was Pride and Prejudice (and was extremely excited to find that Jane Austen had created a character who shared the same name as mine but was sort of disappointed at her by the end!) But that's not what satisfied my curious mind. A chapter in the prescribed book for 8th grade English did. It was called "The Adventures of Speckled Band". That was when I fell in love for mystery and thriller. But I was yet to meet the love of my life... which wasn't until I was in college and came across a wonderful piece of literature, known to the world as A Movable Feast. Of course Hemingway had been to a lot of places around the world and his books became my first passage to a world beyond the boundaries of my country. I started reading books which had vivid description of places that I had just heard of or seen in movies. Paul Theroux became a favourite author of mine alongside Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Ernest Hemingway, Jeffrey Archer, Frances Mayes, Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte, Ruskin Bond and the list goes on!!

So here I am, two and a half decades old, with a cup of tea by my side and a copy of Under The Tuscan Sun  lying next to me, thinking! A little more than three weeks to go for Christmas (or rather to go home) and here I am sitting and thinking what next!! Well, life is an adventure. And I'm looking forward to a lifetime of adventure... and it has just begun!!

Comments